.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Emet m'Tsiyon

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

An American among Jews in Hebron, part 2

This is the second part:
"If I had my choice, these were the very persons I would have selected for my first aquaintances in the Holy Land. The descendants of Israel were fit persons to welcome a stranger to the ancient city of their fathers; and if they had been then sitting under the shadow of the throne of David, they could not have given me a warmer reception. It may be that, standing in the same relation to the Turks, alike the victims of persecution and contempt, they forgot the great cause which had torn us apart and made us a separate people, and felt only a sympathy for the object of mutual opression. But, whatever was the cause, I shall never forget the kindness with which, as a stranger and Christian, I was received by the Jews in the capital of their ancient kingdom; and I look to my reception here and by the monks of Mount Sinai as among the few bright spots in my long and dreary pilgrimage through the desert."
Note: The third part of this will be coming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home